Thursday, September 29, 2005

Phoenix

“A clever warrior is one who not only wins, but excels at winning with ease”
—Sun Tzu

Since I was 14 years old, I have been an owner in an operated three businesses; been a general manager for one; bagged groceries, baked pizzas, flipped burgers; for all practical purposes, ran a 26-soldier combat engineer detachment; been a part of a team that managed the personnel actions and records for more than 1,000 soldiers; been an office manager for a defense contractor; and been a concierge for a world-renowned resort. This doesn’t count the small lawn-mowing empire that I had while I was a kid, either.

However, the years of 2003 and 2004 were not my finest in the business world. I fell. I fell hard: Somewhat because of my own failings, somewhat because of the betrayal of those around me; somewhat because of various environmental factors. I was burned, but vowed someday to get back into the business world and once again run a company.

That time is now. Over the past several months I have been training myself in the art of programming in visual basic for applications. I have previously taught myself pretty much every other language of BASIC (since the fourth grade), have picked up smatterings of HTML and Flash over the years, and was formally trained in the basics of Ada while in my first two years of undergraduate school. A few friends/co-workers and I have determined that we will start developing a game. This is a departure from previous projects I have worked on, mostly research and development, but I feel it could very well be a profitable move.

And so, it is time for the phoenix to rise from the ashes. It is time to play the game again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You already know my personal thoughts about this... but what I can publicly say is that we have missed and can't wait for what you have in store.