Saturday, September 03, 2005

"That's Just the Way It Is, Baby"

Life is a rollercoaster.

Of course, you can strip everything down to it's black and white. With just the linear, logical events of everday life. The white picket fence, cookie commercial, shiny life that we all shoot for. From youth we grow into adults and make our mark on the world.

Life is, at it's heart, black and white.

That is until emotion enters the fray. Emotions add irrationality, excessive valuations or de-valuations of circumstances and biased critiques perceptions of the world. Emotions add colors and grays to our world. Emotions cause us to to great things and they can be the cause of us doing the most stupid things. They give us pride, they give us prejudice.

They cause us to hold onto memories past and can prevent us from living our future. This emotion is called pain. It can pierce through you to the core and linger there for a long time. It skews all other emotions, adding another element of chaos to an already irrational set of circumstances.

"Memories of you and me
Tumble inside my head
The way that we used to be
Things that we said
No one has ever made me believe so strong
You left me to wonder
How did our love go wrong "
- "Angelia" by Richard Marx

Logic, as they say, doesn't make anything easier.

However, if my past has taught me anything it's to develop the little voice that says "suck it up, drive on, soldier." Life always goes on, whether you want it to or not. I have fought long and hard to make it where I am today. Stable, successful, and (hopefully) considered a decent person.

So, one must move on from yesterday in order to reach tomorrow. One of the key sayings when dealing with business strategy is to just "go forward." Stuff happens, but you just need to continue going forward.

And, thus, I guess in the end it all comes down to being able to wash the past away with the tides of time.

"The tides that once had carried you away, they bring you back today
The time has washed away my pain-I find that things have changed
And disappeared without a trace-You can't get back what you've erased"
-"That's Just the Way It Is, Baby" by The Rembrandts

No comments: